Thursday, March 4, 2010

Reminiscing...January 2008

In January we made a life changing discovery.
Acid reflux turned out to be a cow's milk allergy.

After the horrible meningitis scare, and Avary was diagnosed with acid reflux, our wonderful pediatrician Dr. Havlik prescribed prevacid. That tiny little pill (that we had to cut down to a 1/4 it's original size for the proper dose) saved us - for about 2 months. At first it was like a miracle. No spitting up. No need for gas drops. But as time went on, it was less effective. By the end of January, Avary was miserable. She was spitting up even more than before. Now, with every feeding.
And then one day, she just refused to nurse. She just screamed. I knew she was starving. I felt so helpless. I just sat there holding her.
Then out of desperation, I got up, went to the kitchen, and got out a sample of soy formula that had come in the mail when I was pregnant.
I don't know why I had suddenly decided to try the new formula, but I fixed the bottle, took Avary back to her room, and offered her the milk. I have never seen 4 ounces go so quickly. She sucked that bottle dry. I was relieved, but felt awful at the same time because I knew exactly what it meant. It was the milk all along. I didn't have much time for regret. She wanted more! I made another 4 ounce bottle, and she drank that too. She was finally full, and content. I was thrilled. I sent Mat a message (he was at school) to tell him of my discovery.
When Avary woke up from her 'milk coma', I bundled her up, and headed across the street to my parents house.
Since most of her life had been spent with an upset stomach, Avary wasn't always pleasant, and often refused to be held by anyone other than Mat or I. This was hard for me. I am very close to my family. I wanted them to bond with my new baby.
When I got to my parents, my brother Zak offered to hold Avary. I had prepared another soy milk bottle and asked Zak if he would like to feed her. Of course, Avary went wild for that soy milk.
I can not tell you what an amazing moment it was to watch my brother feed my baby girl. They were bonding. No crying - from either of them. It was a miracle.
To this day, Zak and Avary have a very special bond.
Is it because he was the first one (other than me) to feed her milk that didn't give her a stomach ache?
Or because he was there when she was born?
Or is it my bond with my brother that naturally carried through the womb?
Who knows. But it's there. And I'm glad for it.

Avary started a new 'talking' sound. "Ah ah ah ah ah." SO adorable! It was so fun to play with her and have her interact with us.

Our night time routine (bath, lotion, books, songs, swaddle) was a very special time for Mat and I to bond with Avary. Nights were so peaceful. After bath time, we'd turn off all the lights in the house, leaving only a small lamp in A's room. Books and songs were quiet. As she nursed for the last time before bed, I'd just stare into those dark eyes of hers.

A still LOVED every time Mat would play guitar, and would squeal when he sang.

Dislikes:
Getting dressed. Getting her hair done.

Favorites:
Pink 'silky'. Pink piggy rattle. Mobiles. Green rattle (Mat's when he was a baby). Caterpillar toy. Elephant stuffed animal 'P-nut'.

1 comment:

  1. I love those last pictures cuz she still makes those faces. :)

    ReplyDelete