Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Reminiscing...December 2007



I had a hard time getting into the Christmas spirit, which I felt guilty about - because it was Avary's first Chritmas. Everything seemed so busy and hectic, and with every day that passed, I was less enthusiastic about getting a tree and decorating my house. By the middle of the month I had basically given up on the tree idea (even though that fresh pine scent and those glowing lights in my living room are my FAVORITE). 
Mat knew I was disappointed that we'd let half the month of December whiz by without picking out a tree.  That sweetie went out and surprised me with a beautiful spruce. I quickly wrapped the entire tree with white twinkle tights and filled the branches with amazing ornaments handmade by Mat's great grandma Hazel, grandma Amy, and mom Mindy, and passed on to us. Avary was instantly mesmerized by the shiny, twinkling, glow of the tree.

As a young new family, Mat and I decided to start a tradition of our own. We planned to buy one ornament for Avary each year, in hopes that by the time she gets her own tree to decorate, she will have a small ornament collection of her own. 
The first ornament we chose was a clear glass sphere, with '2007' etched in it.

We spent Christmas eve at my parents house, and as is tradition, with LOTS of mexican food, a family gift exchange and of course - a pinata! 
Avary wasn't exactly thrilled with this event. Really, it's got to confuse everyone the first time they witness a paper mache donkey being whacked with a stick by small children until it's sweet, chocolaty, insides come pouring out. 
Confusion aside, the excitement in the air was contagious.

On Christmas morning we went back to my parents house to open presents, and then over to Mat's parents for breakfast (John's famous sausage casserole! YUM!) and presents.

Avary was so talkative the whole day! She must have known it was special. She just sat in her little chair, and cooed and giggled at everyone (especially Josh!) as they opened their gifts. She also loved playing with the light up snow man from Gma Mindy, and her musical caterpillar toy.

Later that afternoon, we headed back to my parents for lunch/dinner where Avary went wild 'talking' to my brother Zak, and my parents.

Christmas with a great family, a wonderful husband and a beautiful newborn 
- it IS the most wonderful time of the year.




12.2 fell asleep on gma mindy's shoulder - 12.4 first haircut - 12.8 gpa john & gma mindy babysit for the first time - 
12.11 two month checkup, weighed 11.94 lbs

No comments:

Post a Comment