Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Gold Fish

Last week Mat and I went to a formal dinner to celebrate the upcoming graduation with fellow Westminster Seniors.
It was fun to get dressed up, have a fancy meal, and have some one on one time.
I must say though, it was a highlight of the night when one of the speakers announced that we could take the centerpiece from our table home with us.
- It's funny, so many adults can get excited over something valued around $10....MAX. -
Anyway,
We walked out with a small vase filled with shiny purple (Westminster color) stones, crisp clean water, and THREE goldfish. We knew Avary would be thrilled.
And she was.
That night, as A inspected her new pets, we asked her what she would like to name them.
(I wasn't especially hopeful considering past attempts to name dolls, or stuffed animals, typically resulted in a back and forth with BOTH A and I saying "What should we name it?")
This time she knew exactly what she wanted to name them.
"Cinderella.
Snow White.
and Sleeping Beauty."
I thought it was so cute that she not only understood the creative process of naming her fish, but she chose pretty princess names for them!
She went to bed that night and (I imagine) had dreams of princess fishies swimming in her head.
The next morning, she was so excited to check on the trio.
I wanted to see if she remembered the names she had chosen the night before, and if so, I wanted to hear her say them - just cause it's so darn cute!
I asked her, "What are their names?"
Without hesitation, and with complete confidence, she gave me her response.
"Garlic.
Costco.
And Grocery store."
I guess we've been frequenting Costco and the grocery store, and consuming a quantity of garlic, that was enough to catch her attention!

I was even more proud of her than I had been the night before.
I loved seeing her be so creative!

I repeated my inquiry a few times throughout the day - just to test her - and again, because it was just so darn cute!
She was sure.
Those fish are definitely named Garlic, Costco, and Grocery Store.

Unfortunately, by the time this photo was taken, only Costco was left.  :(

2 comments:

  1. OH my gosh that is hysterical! You never told me that story! I keep repeating the names to myself and laughing. Those are the most ridiculous fish names in history! Is Cost-co still alive?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately Costco only survived another 2 days. Mat took A to get a new goldfish yesterday. He has a disappointingly unoriginal name. Nemo.

    ReplyDelete